We are looking for a highly capable PHP developer (based in San Francisco, CA, Durham, NC, or remote) to join us for up to 20 hours per week as we work to provide healthcare to hundreds of thousands of Kenyans by 2020. Join a diverse and globally distributed team including top behavioral economists (like Dan Ariely), technologists, designers, researchers, and experts as we work to revolutionize the way giving works.
Our new platform is being developed from the ground up to foster rapid research and experimentation (think advanced A/B testing), and the results of our initial tests have already helped us rethink the way giving works online. This platform will provide healthcare to numerous real families in the coming years, and the work you do will directly change people’s lives. We are currently in the process of transitioning our tried-and-tested MVP to a scalable system using AWS infrastructure—and you will have a significant impact on the way this happens. You will be making production level decisions and your work will shape the future of our platform.
Like many startups, we use popular tools like Slack and Asana for communication and project management, and regularly hold video calls with our globally distributed team via Zoom. Our teammates live and work across the world in San Francisco, Durham, Amsterdam, Nairobi, and more! We seek out and work with people who are aligned in their desire to make a positive impact, value autonomy, and respect the opinions and feedback of all of our team members. This position reports to the CTO and you will work directly with our designers and front-end team. Our onboarding process starts with a series of paid consulting projects to ensure a good fit, with the hope that a successful candidate with eventually transition into a staff role. We strongly value, encourage, and promote diversity throughout the organization and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
- Fluency in Laravel (or core framework), Vue.js, jQuery, Stripe, Git, NGINX, and MySQL
- Hands on knowledge of PHP (MVC, OOP)
- Able to conceptualize, develop, and document APIs
- Familiarity with managing AWS instances (and the AWS command line)
- Able to perform unit testing
- Knowledge of design patterns, and familiarity with common algorithms (like Dijkstra for search)
- Security minded (comfortable following best practices when working with financial and healthcare data)
- Strong documentation habits
- Able to learn new technologies as needed
- Self-starter who is passionate about what they do
- Experience with Agile product development
- Sense of humor (we pride ourselves on having a great time doing the work we do)
- Willing to work outside of your comfort zone and handles ambiguity well
- Know your way around Sketch
- Familiarity with SASS
- Familiarity with AWS Lambda or similar
- Likes to play ping pong (several of our team members are quite good)
- Interested in healthcare, effective altruism, and behavioral economics
- Able to travel domestically/abroad (may have opportunities to meet the people you are working to help)